– 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
– 1 teaspoon cornstarch
– ½ pound Chinese egg noodles, fettuccini, or linguini
– 1 tablespoon sesame oil
– 6 ounces snow peas
– 1 cup baby carrots
– Two ¼-inch slices ginger, minced
– 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
– ¼ cup vegetable oil, for stir-frying
– Hot and sour sauce, as needed
– ¾ cup chicken broth
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoons ketchup
– 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
– 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup water
– Place shrimp, rice wine, and cornstarch in medium bowl; mix to incorporate and marinade 15 minutes.
– Fill a large pot of water. Bring to a boil, add noodles, and cook 5 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Toss with sesame oil and set aside.
– Bring a separate medium pot of water to a boil. Add snow peas and carrots; cook until the turn bright in color, about 2 minutes. Submerge in ice cold water, remove, and drain thoroughly.
– Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large wok over medium-high to high heat; add ginger and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
– Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Remove from the wok and set aside.
– Heat an additional 2 tablespoons of oil in wok. Add carrots, cook 1 minute; add snow peas and cook an additional 1 minute; add the red bell peppers and cook an additional 1 minute.
– Push the vegetables up to the side of the wok and add the sauce in the middle. Heat to boiling, then add the noodles and shrimp. Mix everything together; heat through and serve hot.
Serve these delicious Chinese noodles alongside a simple veggie side dish, such as steamed broccoli, stir-fried peppers, or a light soup. When choosing a wine, most whites will complement the slightly bold flavors of the noodles; enjoy your favorite.